The Great Poker Adventure

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Ouch! The bruises ...!

I am running very well this week, and I have the bruises to show from where the deck kept hitting me!

I have won just over $100 in the past three days. Yesterday, I played just under 1k hands at $20NL and $25NL, and I won $75.

I have signed up for a sweet rakeback deal at Battlefield Poker (Prima skin) (Thanks for the tip, Pkr_Brat!), so I think that they will see the majority of my play from now on. For those that are interested, I earned $6.04 in rakeback for 766 hands of $20NL. There are a few niggly things that annoy me about the Prima software (notably the process of reloading up to a full buy-in whilst you are at the table) but I love the pace of play there. I am sure that they deal considerably more hands-per-hour-per-table than any other site.

I am currently reading several books at the same time, which is normal for me! Whilst trying to find time to read the final Harry Potter book, I am also reading Online Ace by Scott Fischman. This is a pretty well-written book, although it has a major focus on SnG's which are not (currently) my thing. One tip that I internalised from yesterday, was where Scott was talking about the fact that you really should be bluffing hardly at all at low levels (I know that this is Standard advice). The interesting part for me, was that he said that you will be making a good percentage of your money by picking off other people's bluffs, especially if you setup your play to present then with an invitation to bluff. (Checking the river to them, being an obvious example).

So a few hands from the past couple of days, focusing on pocket 7's and pocket 8's, which are hands that I never really feel comfortable with:

Hand 1.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1301893

Nice check on the turn by the villain (20/12), set me up to make a weak call on the river. I probably should have given him credit for a 6 here, and "pitched it"! Damn-you, pocket 8's! I should have listened to Seebok! lol

------------------------------------------------------

Hand 2.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1301919

Here the villain (52/15) gets lucky with the freecard that I presented him with on the turn. Doh!
It is easy to say in the cold light of morning that I should have fired another barrel, but would you have done so?

------------------------------------------------------
Hand 3.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1301928

Here I raised the flop to find out where I was at, and I discovered that the aggro villain (58/16) liked his had quite a bit!

-------------------------------------------------------
Hand 4.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1301931

Here the villain obviously has a pocket pair, but is it better than my 7's?? I am quite surprised that I made this call, actually! Villain played 100/55 for the 11 hands that he survived, before I felted him!

2 Comments:

  • Hand 1: When he raises UTG I give him credit for a good hand. On this flop I probably just call a bet and see what he does on the turn. I don't think a raise si a bad play though, but once he calls I'm done with the hand - even if you did kind of induce a river bluff - it's just too likely that he has you beaten here.

    Hand 2: I like checking behind on the turn here. It's likely he has a K or a 5 on that dry flop. If he peeled with 99-22 then he either has you beat (88/99) or he only has 2 outs. I'm not sure if I'd call his river bet or not. I'd probably lean towards folding because I'd think he had the K or the 5.

    Hand 3: I like it. Raise up that weak lead with a hand that may well be best.

    Hand 4: I think 88,99 beat you. You beat 22-66 as well as A high type hands and total bluffs. I like this call against a donk like this.

    By Blogger DODGYKEN, at 10:25 am  

  • Hand1) I agree with dodgyken here, he over bets the river hoping you call , i think theres a good chance he has 7 here so it is a fold.

    Hand 2) This is a mistake i make lots to , but ive relised that 70% of players are going to call the flop bet thats why you have to follow through with the turn bet. The hard part of this is figureing out which players to do it to. IE. not calling stations.

    Hand 3) I like the reraise here on the flop but you cant call his 4 bet. Nice fold you got the info you paid for!

    Hand 4) Again i agree with dodgyken you played this 1 well. Ill pay this guy anyday in this spot. N1

    You should use the option hide results in gray that way you get more honest answers about the action in the hand plus when were done we can check to see the results.

    By Blogger RakebackFAQ, at 2:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home