The Great Poker Adventure

Wednesday, July 19, 2006


Reflections

On Monday night, I went to see "Love", the brand new Beatles Cirque du Soleil show at the Mirage. It was a truly spectacular production, right up to the point where the incredibly complex mechanical stage broke down just under an hour into the 90 minute show! After hanging around for 20 minutes or so, while they tried to fix it and thanked us for our patience several times, the show was eventually cancelled.

This was actually a pretty satisfactory result, as I saw 2/3 of the show, and got my $150 back!

After queuing for my refund, I decided to play at the Mirage, which prior to the poker boom of 3 years ago, was the only significant poker room in Vegas.

I joined a 3/6 game and played for a couple of hours, before concluding that I had no edge against this bunch of off-duty dealers and locals. I cashed out with a small loss to end my poker play for this trip.

Net result for the week saw me win just enough to cover my hotel bill for the trip, which I am pretty satisfied with.

Two key lessons learned on this trip.

1. If you don't like the look and feel of the table you are at (ie if you can't identify the fish that you are targeting), cash out and move on.

2. There is a much greater potential for maximising my advantage in skill level against poor players at No Limit, rather than at Limit tables. Far greater win rates per hour are possible at NL.

I will certainly now focus on playing NL cash games online. I have quite a bit of reading to do to bring my NL play up to the standard of my Limit play, but I believe that I already know enough to be successful at the low buy-in tables (based upon my recent success at NL sit'n'gos online).

This was a extremely enjoyable and reasonably successful trip to Vegas.

Now, back to the real World...!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home