The Great Poker Adventure

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Day 8 - Scorpions!

As the Flamingo do not charge a daily resort fee, they have itemised charges for things like internet access and for use of the gym. This of course deters people from using it, which means that the gym at Flamingo is mostly deserted, which suited me fine.

A bit later I headed over to Blueberry Hill again for breakfast, where I reverted to the classic eggs benedict with sourdough toast, which did not disappoint.

I then sat in a 1/2 game at the Flamingo for a couple of hours. I played nicely in some tricky spots to record a reasonable win.

After than I had an hour by the pool before lunch, and before the afternoon crowds had descended.

Lunch was a pizza at Sammys Wood-fired Pizza, where I had the BBQ chicken pizza, which was absolutely delicious.

More poker at the Flamingo saw me book another modest win which included one superb laydown, and some solid poker against a decent set of opponents.

I then settled in to watch the Reds play the Twins, after losing several close games this week, the Reds had their ace Johnny Cueto back on the mound, and won comfortably 6-0.

Earlier in the day, I had driven past the Thomas and Mack Center (which is the UNLV basketball stadium) only to notice that Scorpions were playing there tonight! Back in the 1980s the Germans had been one of my favourite bands, but I hadn't seen them play live since about 1990. I decided to invest some of my poker winnings in a ticket for the show.

The Thomas and Mack Center holds 18,000 people for basketball or boxing, but with the stage taking up one end it probably holds about 10,000 for a concert. I had a surprisingly good seat about half-way back, and the show was absolutely terrific!

Finally for today are a couple of photos that I took on my travels. The photo of the Flamingo is taken from the parking garage, looking across the tropical gardens to the hotel. The photo of the Palazzo gives some idea of the vast scale of the place. The Palazzo at 50 stories high is the tallest completed building in Vegas and it is the largest building the whole USA by floorspace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home