The Great Poker Adventure

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day 1 - Travel

When I booked my trip in February, I got a great deal on airmiles with United which put me in the premium cabin for the long-haul flights.

From the waiter-served full-English breakfast in the lounge, to the extravagant space occupied by my lie-flat bed, to the super-attentive in-flight service, including seven course lunch, it was a great experience!


My warm glow was somewhat diminished by having to wait 40 minutes for a parking bay at LAX after we landed. Delays are just as frustrating at the front of the plane, if a bit more comfortable!

After a 3 hour layover in LA and a 1 hour flight to Vegas, I finally arrived.

Staying at the MGM has a number of advantages, not least of which is that they have a check-in desk in the baggage hall at McCarron Airport, so I already had my room key before I had my suitcase.

Dollar Car Rental didn't have the economy car that I had booked, so they gave me a free upgrade to an absurd Ford Crown Victoria, which is the size of barge and drives like one.

So roughly 22 hours after I left home yesterday morning, I was seated at the Poker table in the temporary Poker Room at the MGM (as the normal location is closed for the construction work currently going on to remove the lion habitat.)

I played solid for three hours in total over two sessions, and booked a small loss, due to two cooler hands, one with set-under-set, and another where I flopped two-pair only to have to fold to a rivered 4-flush.

1 Comments:

  • Interesting stuff Rob - keep it up. I take it you are not missing the Euros too much then?

    By Anonymous Steve, at 8:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home