The Great Poker Adventure

Monday, August 20, 2007

Breaking the Law(s), breaking the law(s)!

Anyone out there old enough to remember Judas Priest from the late seventies? I very much doubt it!

So I have started the week with one solid session, where I followed my own rules to the letter, made on pretty big lay-down and finished down just very slightly (offset by rakeback, back to break-even).

Then I played another short session, where I seemed to come under lots of pressure from all villains, good players and bad players alike, and I ended up felting myself with Aces against a pretty obvious flush, and then being somewhat tilted, I ended up getting over-busy with TT and dropping another 1/2 a buyin.

What a moron I am, sometimes!

So, I am even more committed now to getting away from 1-pair hands in the face of aggression, Oh, and not overplaying pocket tens! lol

So anyway, here is the big "Rule4" laydown :

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1390081

Villain plays 77/4/0.3, which are pretty incredible stats, but in fairness to him, over 126 hands that I have on him, he is only slightly in the red, so he obviously plays pretty well post-flop.

I thought for a long while about making this call, but I decided that whilst he could well have a worse King than me, I think that he shows up with a set or a raggedy 2-pair much more often.

I will post the AA debacle on my Big Hands Blog if anyone is in need of a laugh at my expense this morning!

I am so committed to getting away from 1-pair hands from now on, that I can't wait to get back to tables this evening, to prove to myself that I have the discipline to make this work!

4 Comments:

  • I'm too young to have been a Judas Priest fan! I was never into metal (or whatever they are) anyway!

    I like your rule 4 for the lower limits. I did a very similar things a few months back when I was paying off people's bigger hands too much with my one pair (including overpairs). You will be giving up on some equity some of the time, but the amount you save from making the bad decisions makes this worthwhile. As you get more and more confident with your one pair play, you can start to open this rule back up.

    On this hand, i actually don't think rule 4 applies so much. I would use it on the flop/turn where you've bet and been raised. Here, you almost induce a bluff by checking the river. He could definitely have a QT, AQ type hand here I think. I would bet again on the river as a value/blocker bet. the pot is $28 ish so I'd bet $18-20 I think. The only hands that beat you are AK (very unlikely), KJ, and 44. I think KJ and 44 mostly raise the turn here.

    I'm actually struggling with one pair play on the river a bit myself. I check-folded AA in the face of a big bet yesterday and, after discussion, think it was a bad move. I'm going to be trying out betting 1/2 - 2/3 pot on the river in these types of hands as a value/blocker bet. Does that make sense?

    By Blogger DODGYKEN, at 4:00 pm  

  • I would of called this bet like dodgeyken says hes taking your check as weak and betting at it , i think a bet of 11-12 would of got a call or RR allin if your beat you bet 3 then 3.50 then 7 or 11 would seem reasonable and you would know that he has you beat if he bets big.

    You must be losing alot with your big hands to not want to play them strong just being careful i think will help you sometimes you just dont know what to do but other times there is the info there to tell you where you are in the hand. TT ive always hated i dunno if its big or small or what i play it like JJ i will be aggrasive but if i smell anything i slow down. I think just folding these at the first sign of anyting will be wrong sometimes trying to play small pots with them would be better i think.
    Best of luck.

    By Blogger RakebackFAQ, at 10:35 pm  

  • Nice fold of this hand here. Definitely as it paired, it was the correct thing to do even though you may have been ahead.

    I initially had reservations about this rule for 1 pair hands that your implementing but I am coming round to your way of thinking. Judging from my PT Stats One paired hands are a big loser for me and I need to make an adjustment.

    I'm afraid I just about remember Judas Priest!!!!

    By Blogger losbert, at 11:53 pm  

  • I'm definitely old enough to remember Judas Priest...some friends were into them, but I never was all that much...don't know why, as I listened to a lot of similar music, maybe not quite as hard, but close.

    Like Martin, I'm not sure that Rule 4 applies so much in this hand. I would have made a blocking bet on the river, and if he raised, then you could get away. I don't consider the fact that he called on this board showing you tremendous resistance, and you are going to pay a price for being out of position. The 2-pair hand that scares you is KJ, other than that, it's more likely that he has a worse king or a PP, and if he got lucky with 44 or 33,then I think that's just a cooler.

    Something else to think about: your c-bet seems really small, is that a normal size c-bet for you? I tend to make about 3/4-pot c-bets, and frequently pot it when I'm out of position. If you had made a largish c-bet and he still called you on the flop, I think the hand can play out differently.

    By Blogger Marc, at 5:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home