The Great Poker Adventure

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Sometimes I wonder ...

...whether I have learned anything about NL at all!

I am still treading water for August, up a miserable half a buy-in over 4,300 hands.

A few days ago, I said something to effect that I would get away from hands like TT and JJ 98 times out of 100, when I ran into serious and sustained resistance preflop. Well, I can now report that that was 100% prime bullshit I was spouting right there!

Last night I dusted off full stacks twice, once with TT, and again with JJ. You know that you are in trouble, when you get it all-in and you are praying that the villain flips over AK, rather than the monster over-pair that you know he really has!

I have a new goal to add to my others for August.
  • Do not overplay TT or JJ preflop! These hands may be 3bet in certain favourable spots, but must be pitched when they run into a 4bet, or when they have been opened and run into a 3bet.

If I had been playing to this rule yesterday, I would be at least 2 buy-ins better off.

On a more positive note, the rakeback is rolling in! I have so far cleared over $100 this month.

To badly paraphrase the "Velvet Bulldozer", the late, great Albert King, "If it wasn't for rakeback, I wouldn't be making no money at all!"

4 Comments:

  • Youre right when you say you need to get away when you 4 bet with TT and JJ . Man you gotta be able to lay down TT and JJ whats goiing to happen with QQ and KK in tough situations and then theres laying down AA . I find these hard calls

    But i know what you mean with learning . Im on -$11 after 4000
    but i did lose $265 after the first 700

    Good Luck

    By Blogger grinder, at 9:34 am  

  • If you get 4-bet at this level and you hold anything other than KK or AA you should fold it. Unless you know the opponent is too aggressive and will do it with less.

    If I were you, I would start folding TT and JJ to 3-bets for now, until you feel more comfortable playing them facing a 3-bet. You should probably just treat JJ-22 the same and try to set-mine if you think it would be profitable, otherwise fold.

    By Blogger DODGYKEN, at 1:30 pm  

  • TT used to be my most hated hand are they big or not? i agree with Martin play them slower or weaker if you think it will help. Ive busted so many times with them hands i think and hope that ive started to listen to my gut tho. You know when it says your beat and you still play? Sounds easy to do but its so hard to fold a good hand that youve waited a while for. But just think in a few rounds 10-15mins ill get a new good 1.

    Good luck with the rest of the month.

    By Blogger RakebackFAQ, at 10:37 pm  

  • Martin has a good point about turning TT and JJ into set mining hands when 3-bet, until proven otherwise, and even it looks like he'll 3-bet light, you've got to play pretty cautiously after 4-betting, obviously.

    BTW, what's the actual quote from Albert King? I actually got to shake his hand at a concert, as he walked through the crowd before taking the stage. Massive guy, and he could really play.

    By Blogger Marc, at 12:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home