The Great Poker Adventure

Saturday, August 04, 2007

Suicide Kings!

I have done a bit better during my 2nd thousand hands of August, and I am now down just under half a buy-in.

However, the pocket kings nightmare continues! I have now been dealt KK 16 times in 2,100 hands, which is almost twice as often as is statistically likely, and I am showing a splendid overall loss of $59 with the hand.

Dodgyken suggested that I post a few of the hands, so here goes with the three biggest KK train-wrecks so far this month, in reverse order :

Hand 1 :

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1333444

Villain plays a splendid 66/0 game! I guess I should have been able to pitch this on the river, but villain priced the bet just low enough to tease a crying call out of me.

Hand 2 :

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1333453

Here villain plays a slightly better game, at 59/20! Are you happy with my lead on the flop? I figure that half-pot is about right, to be consistent with my holding AK or maybe AQ. I hate to just check here, conceding the initiative tamely to my opponent.

Hand 3 :

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1333648

The piece de resistance! Villain here is a decent player, at 16/16. What do you make of his min-3bet? I put his likely range on TT to AA, plus AK and perhaps AQ. When he leads the flop, I am happy enough. When he comes over the top on the turn, I am still feel I am ahead, as it was tough to put him on a 3, or 88.


One footnote. Today is a sad day. I have just finished reading the final Harry Potter book! I have read them all, of course, and it seems like I can relate a good part of the last decade to where and when I was reading these wonderful stories. On the bright-side; I now have more time to devote to reading some of the many poker books that I have stockpiled, that are either unread, half-read, or not at all well-understood, so need re-reading!

2 Comments:

  • Hand 1) You Cbet and get called which is fine, I think the turn is where you gotta decided what to do if you feel you can push him off his hand Bet if not give up on the hand your call on the river is just out of frustration.

    Hand 2) I dont mind how you played that.

    Hand 3) You should 4 bet here i think i dont like to ever call a min RR if i can ill get in PF with KK. As played when you called and no A hit you need to be aggrasive on this flop Ive looked at the result and not suprised by his cards , thats y i never call with KK try get it allin at least reraie him PF and on the flop.

    By Blogger RakebackFAQ, at 6:05 pm  

  • Hand 1: I don't know, I think that call/fold on the river doesn't make a huge difference. Getting 5:1 after showing a lot of weakness on the turn, and I agree he priced you into a call. This of course could be an ace or a flush, but it could also be a weak attempt to pick up the pot or a misguided play (wouldn't put much past a 66/0 player). I wouldn't lose sleep over this hand.

    Hand 2: This seems fine.

    Hand 3: As played to the turn, no problem with that street. I would usually reraise preflop, but I don't think it's terrible calling when you'll have position postflop. I think it depends on whether you'll ever try to re-steal with a non-premium hand against someone you think might be paying attention.

    By Blogger Marc, at 12:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home